The EMD F40PH has had a long history throughout the 70’s and 80’s as a short range passenger locomotive. Being put into service originally on Amtrak, many commuter services purchased locomotives from Amtrak for use on their own local lines. As of 2012, The VRE operates three of these locomotives (V34, V35, and V36) pulling Bi-level cars in and out of the DC metro area, running them alongside their MP36PH brethren as they transport nearly 20,000 riders per day.
- Equipped with body mounted KATO magnetic knuckle couplers.
- directional Golden White LED headlights and illuminated preprinted number boards.
- Equipped with shock absorber construction for smooth and prototypical motion on the track.
- Powerful five pole motor with all wheel electrical pickup and blackened wheels.
- Additional alternate snow plow piece included for tight radius operation.
- New Commuter-version F40PH locomotives have retooled bodies with over-cab A/C units and illuminated ditch lights.