The RS-1 was introduced by ALCO in March of 1941 with the delivery of the first of two units to the Rock Island. Combining the accessibility of a switching locomotive and the higher-speed tracking of a road unit, the RS-1 started a revolution in locomotive design that was soon embraced by all of the major diesel-electric builders. Despite ALCO's own introduction of higher horsepower roadswitchers, the 1,000 h.p. RS-1 had a production span of 19 years (1941-1960) with 623 units.
- Solid die-cast chassis, pilots, fuel tank, and detailed truck sideframes
- Highly detailed body and cab with separately-applied grab irons, piping and lift rings
- Steam generator details as appropriate per road name
- All-metal separately-applied handrail stanchions
- Accurately-detailed AAR type B trucks with separately-applied brake cylinders, brake chains and other details
- Twin motors with flywheels
- Directional headlights
- Accurate painting and printing
- Weight: 5 lbs.
- Length: Approximately 14"
- Minimum diameter curve: O-36 (3-Rail)
- Minimum radius curve: 36" (2-Rail)
- Electric Railroad Co. “Cruise Commander” Technology
- IMPROVED RailSounds™ digital sound system
- LEGACY COMPATIBLE (100 Speed Steps)
- Operating diesel exhaust unit
- Lionel TrainMaster Command Control